George J. Hatfield Recreation Area:
This state park has a mile of river frontage and plenty of shade. It’s proximity to the road and the poor condition of some of its facilities make it less favorable than some of the other parks on the river, but it still provides many excellent fishing opportunities.
Near the park is a historic bridge over the Merced River. Built in 1910, it is now open only to pedestrians and bikers. It provides nice views of the river.
- Location: 4394 North Kelly Road, Hilmar, CA
- Distance from Merced: 30 miles
- Distance from Los Banos: 29 miles
- Size: 46.5 acres
Hatfield Facilities and activities:
- Flush restrooms
- Drinking fountains
- Campgrounds/group campgrounds with BBQ grills/fire rings
- Picnic areas with tables, shelters, and BBQ grills
- Group picnic areas
- Swimming area
- Dogs allowed? Yes
- Horses allowed? No
- Hunting allowed? No
- Fishing or boating? Fishing can be good at George J. Hatfield Recreation Area. Rainbow trout and bass can be caught in the spring; catfish and perch throughout the year. No boating ramp is provided, but it is possible to swim in the river or to launch a float tube or hand-carried boat.
Website: Hatfield Recreation (click Here)
Nearby Parks: Undeveloped Great Valley Grasslands State Park has a six mile hiking trail.