Lake McSwain and Lake McClureLake McSwain and Lake McClure: These two sister reservoirs on the Merced River are operated as a unit by the Merced Irrigation District. Both provide excellent fishing.
Lake McSwain may be tiny in comparison to Lake McClure, but sometimes has better trout fishing. Gigantic Lake McClure is especially popular for waterskiing, wake boarding, and houseboats.
A 15-mile trail between the Bagby Recreation Area (Highway 49) and Briceburg (140) provides good river fishing, hiking, and mountain biking.
- Location: Lake McClure Road near Merced Falls
- Distance from Merced: 30 miles
- Distance from Los Banos: 66 miles
- Operating authority: Merced Irrigation District
- Surface area of lake: McClure 7,110 acres, McSwain 308 acres
Facilities and activities
- Boat ramps, marina, fish-cleaning stations
- Flush restrooms
- Drinking fountains
- Campgrounds/group campgrounds with BBQ grills/fire rings, shelters, hot showers, RV hookups
- Picnic areas with tables, shelters, and BBQ grills
- Group picnic areas and shelters
- Swimming beach
- Store, laundry facilities, dump station
- Dogs allowed? Yes
- Horses allowed? No
- Hunting allowed? No
- Fish species: bass, bluegill, catfish, crappie, shad, sunfish, trout
- Rentals: Boats and personal watercraft including houseboats